Ignition Gloucestershire exists to help the churches and community organisations in the southern part of Gloucestershire to reach out missionally into the community by ensuring that events are well run and managed efficiently and effectively.
Ignition was set up in 2006 to organise a major inter-church mission with the well-known speaker J.John which took place in a 1800-seater Big Top in Stratford Park, Stroud, over 4 days in June 2007 and attracted thousands of guests. ‘Ignition07’ included a mammoth picnic and one of the largest set of Sunday School classes ever witnessed in the area with a great deal of creativity!
Ignition has continued to arrange a number of inter-church missional events in the years since, but, for the last 8 years, has concentrated on two major events per year, including the Stroud Family Fun Day (May).
Ignition events since 2006 have included:
- ‘Ignition07’ mission with J John (2007)
- J.John’s ‘Breaking News’ course held in the majority of churches across the area (2006 & 2007)
- A ‘Captivity to Freedom’ evening with Paul & Fiona Jones and ‘The March of the Abolitionists’ (2007)
- Christmas Carol Services with J.John (2006), Mark Ritchie (2007) & Jeff Lucas (2008)
- A weekend with childrens’ worker Doug Horley (2008)
- ‘Sparks for Mission’ training seminars to equip and resource local churches with Martin Robinson, Laurence Singlehurst, Paul Griffiths, Roy Searle and others (2007 & 2008)
- An evening of Celtic Spirituality with Roy Searle & team (2008)
- Two evenings with Canon Andrew White, the Vicar of Baghdad (2008 & 2011)
- 2 concerts with the African Childrens Choir (2008 & 2012)
- ‘The Acoustics Gospels’ with Graham Kendrick (2009)
- Providing event management services for Rock the Cathedral, Gloucester (2012)
- Event Management of the annual Stroud Family Fun Day (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018)
- Working with Stroud Fringe to run a venue in Stratford Park (2012)
- Bringing Philippa Hanna and ‘Chaos Curb’ to Stroud (2012)
- Sponsorship of ‘The Venue’ to bring Christian bands like ‘Empire Nation’, ‘Bought into Being’ and ‘Sounds of Salvation’ to the youth of the Stroud District (2007 , 2008 & 2009)
- ‘Journeys’ courses for those wanting to explore the Christian faith in the follow-up to the original Ignition mission (2007 – 2009)
- ‘Local Church – Transforming the World’ weekend with Rev Malcolm Duncan (2014)
- Working with Churches Together in Stroud to bring Riding Lights Theatre Company to Stroud (2016 & 2019)
- Event Management of The Door Youth Project’s ‘Christmas Presence’ concerts with Mary-Jess, Rebecca Newman & various orchestras/guests (2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016)
- Concert in conjunction with Stroud Sacred Music Festival with Philippa Hanna and the Beacon Gospel Choir (2017)
The heart of Ignition from the beginning was to put on events of a high standard which would be attractive and accessible, not only to those of the faith community, but also to those who would not normally attend church and/or those who had little or no faith. At the same time we want to provide a forum for Christians to learn and explore more about what it means to be missional in our culture. That ethos remains as we continue to plan events on an irregular basis as opportunities arise.